ConocoPhillips Besh Cup Races 5 & 6
Friday February 3 5pm-7-pm at TRAX Outdoor Center at the base of Birch Hill
TRAX Besh Cup Bash
Great time to stop by and meet the folks of TRAX Outdoor Center – sponsors of the T-shirts for skiers who ski the entire series.
Saturday, February 4 – West Valley Spaghetti Feed – 5pm
2016-17 Season Schedule – Format & Distances
Besh Cup 5 – Saturday Information
The Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks’ Besh Cup Bistro will be offering hot dogs, chili, baked goods, and sports drinks.
Come see us upstairs in the Birch Hill Chalet!
9:30AM to the end of races each day
- Late Registration Saturday – 9:00-10:00am (sharp!)
- Bib Pickup Saturday – 9:00-1:00pm
- Tshirts are available for all who pre-registered for the series and for U08/U10/U12 who did not register for the series. THANK YOU Trax Outdoor Center!
- Tshirts for those who registered individually for all six may be available after shirts are given to those who pre-registered.
- Tshirts are available for purchase $20 – limited sizes available
- Besh Cup 5 Start List Including Ski Cross
- The ski cross will consist of a preliminary race and an A, B, or C final. Placement into the final will depend on the number of skiers in the field.
- U14 preliminary races begin at 1:00pm
- U12 preliminary races begin at 1:39pm
- U12 finals begin at 1:48pm
- U10 preliminary races begin at 2:00
- U10 finals begin at 2:06pm
- Besh Cup 5 FINAL Heat Schedule
- Please note that if we have a lot of race day entries that this schedule and the advancement plan may change.
- Races begin at 11am Saturday – The format will be a freestyle interval start for U16 and older and ski-cross for U14 and younger. What is ski cross? Here is an example from a previous racer. Ski cross is an uphill/downhill course with turns & corners along with options such as jumps (not huge) or flags to go under. The format helps develop skiers’ abilities to ski in a “pack” along with developing technical skills. Skiers compete in heats of 4-8 skiers starting on the uphill section at Birch Hill. There is a qualifying heat; and depending on this result, skiers go on to an A, B, or C final. The field size will determine which places move on to the A, B, or C final.
Fairbanks Nordic Ski Club is dedicated to making this event fun – and it’s turned into a favorite. It’s a fan favorite for sure.
Award Ceremonies at the ConocoPhillips Banner
- 12:40pm – Awards for top 3 in each age group of interval start races
- All ski cross – immediately following last ski cross final heat of each age group
Besh Cup 6 – Sunday Information
- Late Registration Sunday – 9am-10am (sharp)
- Besh Cup 6 Start List
- Bib Pickup Sunday – 9am-1pm
- Races begin Sunday – 11:00- The format will be a classic mass start.
- 11:00 U18+M 10K
- 11:45 U18+F 10K
- 12:40 U16M 3K
- 12:55 U16F 3K
- 1:10 U12/U14M 3K
- 1:25 U12/U14F 3K
- 1:45 U08/U10M 1K
- 1:50 U08/U10F 1K
Awards FOR ALL SUNDAY MASS START RACES will be handed out at the Awards Ceremony at Birch Hill beginning at 3pm (not at the ConocoPhillips banner/podium)
The season award ceremony and naming of Team Alaska will be from approximately 3pm-4pm in the Birch Hill Recreation Center.
For the races, the plan is for the longer distances to go first so that we have time to calculate Team Alaska points for the award ceremony, which is to begin at 3pm. The award ceremony Sunday should be done by 4:00. Team Alaska packets are online. If your skier has a possibility of making and accepting a spot on one of the teams, paperwork needs to be turned in at the award ceremony. If you are not attending Besh races 5 & 6 and your skier is a contender for Team Alaska, please notify CCAK before Saturday, February 4.
Coaches meet with the teams to talk over details and logistics. If you need to leave early, turn the paperwork into Ja Dorris or Pete Leonard before you go. Please enclose it all in an envelope, so they can better deal with it on their busy afternoon of gathering paperwork. Payments can also be made by credit card. Since CCAK is not a retail business and cannot build credit card transaction costs into its daily transactions, CCAK adds the expense of the transaction to you (sorry!). You will be able to pay online (link will be on this page) or you can pay by credit card on Sunday. Uniforms for Team Alaska Junior Nationals are the same as last year. Members of Team Alaska Western Regional Championships will wear their club uniforms.